Faculty of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering – Institut Teknologi Bandung, Indonesia
INTERNATIONAL VIRTUAL COURSE ON
HIGH SPEED TRAIN TECHNOLOGY
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT TO ALL ACCEPTED PARTICIPANTS
The Virtual Course is currently in progress to its FINAL WEEK.
IVC on High-Speed Train Technology will continue today (12 July 2021) at 13.00 GMT +7. Please join the video call on the Teams group on time!
The detailed schedule for the International Virtual Course may be viewed here.
SCHEDULE UPDATE: Changes have been made for the course on July 1 and July 5, 2021.
The railway transport system is known for a long time as an environmentally-friendly transport system, that has high passenger or cargo capacity for medium range transports at relatively low cost and low energy consumption and emissions per passenger, particularly when it is electrically driven. It has also a good safety record. Rail transport also has an answer to today’s demand of speed, that is high speed trains, with speeds of up to 400 km/h. The high speed train system is an exciting field both with regard to technological as well as societal and economical aspects. The increase of speed requires many aspects in technology to be considered, such as dynamics, stability, aerodynamics, etc. However, these requirements have the consequence of increasing the investment cost as well as operation and maintenance costs.
With more countries now developing and implementing high speed train transport systems, it is important that students are exposed to this technology. Hence, the Faculty of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at the Institut Teknologi Bandung plans to organize an International virtual summer course on “High Speed Train Transport”, in collaboration with KTH Royal Institute of Technology – Sweden, and Chiba University – Japan. The objective of this summer course is to have a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural interaction among international students as future leaders to learn and discuss important aspects of high speed trains, both with respect to technological as well as societal and economical aspects.
This course is offered for Final year undergraduate or Postgraduate students from all countries. Participants from professionals are also welcome. The course will be given by experienced experts from international universities and industries, with hands-on assignments and projects using commercial tools. This course also offers certificate and course transcript (equivalent to 3 credit units) for participants completing this course.
This program offers two types of participation: Full participation and listening/seat-in participation. Full participation will receive everything the program has to offer which requires active engagement from the participants. Seat-in participation provides a more flexible option for participants who would like to only enjoy the expert-given lectures.
|Full participants||Listeners/sit-in participants|
|1. Expected to attend at least 70% of all classes.
2. Required to engage with tutorials, assignments, and discussion sessions.
3. Will be required to submit their coursework and will receive evaluation for their work.
4. Entitled for an E-transcript equivalent to 3 credits by the end of the course. *
|1. Expected to attend at least 70% of all classes.
2. Not required to attend tutorial or complete assignments.
3. Will receive E-certificate of attendance by the end of the course.
4. Will be given lecture notes and materials.
*) Issued by committee, please contact for more details
This event will be conducted on June 14th – July 14th, 2021
31 May 2021 : Application deadline
8 June 2021* : Announcement of selected participants
10 June 2021 : Re-registration deadline
14 June 2021: Payment deadline**
14 June 2021 – 14 July 2021: International Virtual Course of High-Speed Train Technology
*) Please all applicants have to check the email for the information about applicant status and act to re-registration for the commitment
**) Committee have already sent payment detail to the participant email
This course is free for students from around the world!
- Senior Undergraduate Students
- Graduate Students
- Non-Student Participants (Fees: 250 USD)
Pre-registration form : bit.ly/FTMDVirtualCourseRegistration
- Overview of high speed train implementations with case studies
- Power train, pantograph and electric drive system
- Structure and bogie design
- Dynamic vehicle-track interaction aspects like running stability and ride comfort
- Aerodynamics and running resistance
- Manufacturing technology
- Noise, vibration and harshness
- Train control management system
- Maintenance strategy
- Safety system
- Economical aspects of high speed train implementation
- Societal impacts and issues of railway and high speed train development to society
- Ir. I Wayan Suweca (Institut Teknologi Bandung)
- Pramudita Satria Palar, Ph.D (Institut Teknologi Bandung)
- Dr. -Ing. Ir. Yul Yunazwin (Institut Teknologi Bandung)
- Ir. Rachman Setiawan (Institut Teknologi Bandung)
- Satrio Wicaksono, Ph.D (Institut Teknologi Bandung)
- Yunendar Aryo Handoko, Ph.D (Institut Teknologi Bandung)
- Dr.Ir Pekik Argo Dahono (Institut Teknologi Bandung)
- Hiroyasu Kobayashi (Chiba University)
- Sebastian Stichel (KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
- Carlos Casanueva, Ph.D (KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
- Tech. Karl Bolin (KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
- Mats Berg (KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
- Oskar Fröidh (KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
- Per Wennhage (KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
- Rickard Persson (KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
- Zhendong Liu, Ph.D (KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
- Zuheir Barsoum (KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
- Dr. Febry Pandu Wijaya (PT INKA, Rollingstock Industry from Indonesia)
- Mr. Liu Wanhuai (PT KCIC, High-Speed Railway Company in Indonesia)
For more information, please contact : firstname.lastname@example.org
Below lists the detailed activities throughout the entire course week by week. Please visit this page periodically to see new updates regarding the virtual course.
14 June 2021
13.00 – 13.50
14.00 – 14.50
|Overview of high speed train implementations with case studies||
Zhendong Liu (KTH)
|15.00 – 15.50||Societal impacts and issues of railway and high speed train development to society||
Oskar Fröidh (KTH)
15 June 2021
|14.00 – 15.40||Economical aspects of high speed train implementation||Oskar Fröidh (KTH)||Indria Herman|
|16.00 – 17.00||Tutorial 1 + assignment 1||
16 June 2021
|13.00 – 14.40||Aerodynamics and running resistance||Pramudita Satria Palar (ITB)||Luqman Faturrohim|
|15.00 – 16.40||
Sebastian Stichel (KTH)
17 June 2021
|13.00 – 14.40||Structure design with respect to choice of material, fatigue and structural integrity||Zuheir Barsoum/ Per Wennhage (KTH)||Ferryanto + Andi Kuswoyo|
|15.00 – 15.50||Aspects in bogie design||
Rickard Persson (KTH)
|Budi Heryadi + Andi Kuswoyo|
18 June 2021
|13.10 – 14.00||Aspects in bogie design||Yunendar Aryo Handoko (ITB)||Budi Heryadi + Andi Kuswoyo|
14.10 – 15.50
|Overview of high speed train implementations with case studies in China||
Mr. Liu Wanhuai (KCIC/CRDC)
|16.00 – 17.00||Tutorial 2 + assignment 2||
|21 June 2021||14.00 – 15.40||Dynamic vehicle-track interaction: Suspension and ride comfort||Mats Berg (KTH)||Arif Sugiharto + Yunus + Pras|
|16.00 – 17.40||Carbody design||Satrio Wicaksono (ITB)||Ferryanto + Andi Kuswoyo|
|22 June 2021||13.00 – 13.50||Carbody design||Carlos Casanueva (KTH)||Ferryanto + Andi Kuswoyo|
|14.00 – 15.40||Active suspension||Rickard Persson (KTH)||Budi Heryadi + Andi Kuswoyo|
|16.00 – 17.00||Tutorial 3 + assignment 3||ITB||Ferryanto + Andi Kuswoyo|
|23 June 2021||14.00 – 15.40||Dynamic vehicle-track interaction: Running stability, curving and wheel and rail damage||Karl Bolin (KTH)||Arif Sugiharto + Yunus + Pras|
|16.00 – 17.40||Noise, vibration and harshness||Sebastian Stichel (KTH)|
|24 June 2021||13.00 – 14.40||Rail vehicle dynamic simulation||Yunendar Aryo Handoko (ITB)||Arif Sugiharto + Yunus + Pras|
|15.00 – 17.00||Tutorial 4 + assignment 4||ITB||Budi Heryadi + Andi Kuswoyo|
|25 June 2021||13.10 – 14.50||Structure design with respect to choice of material, fatigue and structural integrity||Rachman Setiawan (ITB)||Ferryanto + Andi Kuswoyo|
|15.00 – 17.00||Project tutorial||ITB||Lecturer and Tutor team|
|28 June 2021||13.00 – 14.40||Train control management system & Signaling||Yul Yunazwin (ITB)||Vani Virdyawan|
|15.00 – 16.40||Train control management system & Signaling||Febry Pandu Wijaya (INKA)||Vani Virdyawan|
|29 June 2021||13.00 – 14.40||Power train, pantograph and electric drive system||Prof.Dr.Ir. Pekik Argo Dahono (ITB)||Ferryanto + Budi Heryadi|
|15.00 – 17.00||Tutorial 5 + assignment 5||ITB||Arif Sugiharto + Yunus + Pras|
|30 June 2021||13.00 – 17.40||Project Group Discussion||ITB|
|01 July 2021||13.00 – 14.40||Maintenance strategy||Rachman Setiawan (ITB)||Arif Sugiharto|
|15.00 – 16.40||Safety system||Yul Yunazwin and Rachman Setiawan (ITB)||Vani Virdyawan|
|02 July 2021||13.10 – 14.50||Rolling stock manufacturing technology||Febry Pandu Wijaya (INKA)||Arif Sugiharto|
|15.00 – 17.00||Tutorial 6 + assignment 6||ITB||Vani Virdyawan|
|05 July 2021||13.00 – 14.40||Tutorial 7 + assignment 7||ITB||Arif Sugiharto|
|15.00 – 17.00||Power train, pantograph and electric drive system||Hiroyasu Kobayashi (Chiba U.)||Ferryanto + Budi Heryadi|
|06 July 2021||13.00 – 17.00||Project Group Discussion||ITB|
|07 July 2021||13.00 – 17.00||Project Group Discussion||ITB|
|08 July 2021||13.00 – 17.00||Project Group Discussion||ITB|
|09 July 2021||13.10 – 14.50||High-speed train implementation in Indonesia||
Ahmad Najib Tawangalun (KCIC) and Mulianta Sinulingga (KCIC)
|15.00 – 17.00||Tutorial 8 + assignment 8||ITB||Ferryanto + Budi Heryadi|
|12 July 2021||13.00 – 16.00||Project presentation||ITB||Lecturer & Tutor team|
|13 July 2021||13.00 – 15.00||Closing||ITB||Lecturer & Tutor team|